Friday, November 11, 2016

Fall Pike Record

            As an angler, some days are better than others. Some days you can make the fish bite and some days you can't. The same goes for being a guide. Some days I arrive at a fishing spot to get ready for my clients and I just have a feeling that it's going to be a good day. Other days I feel like I'm about to embark on a disaster due to weather or difficult clients. My most recent pike charter was one for the scrap book, and the record book.

The trip began like most. The wind was calm, but the water was about 8' low. Low water makes pike fishing tough for me, because this time of year the fish are shallow. We are often sight fishing for them on just a few feet of water. Water that is 8' low leaves the usual spots high and dry.

My fall trips are trophy trips. We aren't looking for numbers of fish, but the big females that are feeding to prepare for winter. As we made our way across the water I gave Jay and Diego my usual pep talk about fishing for one fish at a time and not giving up if they experience hours of casting with no fish.

Spot number one was an area that has produced a fish every trip, but that wouldn't be the case this time. I decided to fish our way down the same shore line to a prominent point before heading to another area. One cast turned into ten, and then into 50, and still no action, which isn't uncommon. As we rounded the point Diego, who was in the front of the boat, decided to switch side. Jay continued fishing the inside. I no sooner finished thinking that I wanted him to cast in a spot than his lure landed in that exact spot, but nothing.

Jay made another cast and a few seconds later I saw his rod bounce. "That was a bite," I said. Then I watched as Jay's rod slowly began to bend. "Set the hook," I said. "You've got a fish on." Jay set the hook and we watched in amazement as a giant pike gracefully rose to the surface and swam straight at the boat. Jay steered the massive fish out from under the boat, around in a circle, and into my landing net. 


The massive pike was the largest ever caught by me or any of my clients. The fish measured 43" long and qualified for the NH Trophy Fish Catch and Release program. Weight estimations based on length and girth put the massive fish around 22 pounds. After many high fives and a handful of photos we watched as the big female swam away as if nothing had happened. It was a day I will never forget, and neither will Jay or Diego.

 
The release.

No comments:

Post a Comment